Follow by Email

Camerado, I give you my hand: A Geeky Review

I finished reading Camerado, I Give You My Hand by Maura Poston Zagrans a week or so ago and I am still talking about it. This book tells the story of Father David Link, a saint-in-training who proves that there are no limits to what we can do in the name of compassion and God's grace. We are often told that faith can move mountains and Father Link's life is proof that this is possible. Though a high profile lawyer and dean of Notre Dame Law School, he always found the time and energy to help the poorest of the poor and the most marginalized of society. 

Camerado is one of those books that shows you just how much is possible for those who seek to live out Christ's command to love one another. Before entering the priesthood, Father Link had everything a man in his standing could want. He had married his high school sweetheart, been a loving father, worked for a prestigious law firm, served his country, and made quite a name for himself as dean to one of the most prestigious law schools. All of these things were good in and of themselves, but Father Link demonstrated that more is needed and possible for people willing to serve God and his neighbors.

While reading this book, I grew acquainted with Father Link and the people he has helped in his prison ministry. I'm a big fan of The Shawshank Redemption, so the only way I can describe him is to compare him to Andy Dufresne. Unlike Dufresne, however, he is a priest whose retirement plan consists of seeking out convicted murderers, drug dealers, thieves, etc. and turning their lives around. He understands the needs of these prisoners and seeks to fill the voids that led these men to a life of crime. He acts as a priest, a mentor, counselor, teacher, and even as a family member to so many people who are simply in need of a powerful and positive role model in their lives. In this book, you get to see the kinds of changes Father Link creates by simply serving God behind prison walls. 

I can't tell you how many times I teared up when reading this book or how many times I got the chills. I can tell you, however, that it was a very good read. I had a tough time putting it down and I have been inspired by Father Link's example. I lack Father Link's people skills, but this book demonstrates that there is so much we can do for our fellow man regardless of how busy we may be and what skills we may or may not possess. In short, this book has the potential to change your life if you feel that you are stuck in the doldrums. It may prove to be a great catalyst if you have ever been called to serve your fellow man and been unsure of where to start or what you could do. 

I was offered a free copy of Camerado, I Give You My Hand for review. The opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are my own.

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment