Follow by Email

Catholic Science Geek: Wedding Edition

It's been a little over 2 weeks since my wedding on the feast day of St. Faustina Kowalksa (October 5th). I haven't had the heart to post about it until now because a week after the wedding took place, my dad made an awful discovery. Our house had been robbed and someone had stolen my mom's jewelry, wedding banns, and even the jewelry that my sisters and I had gotten when we were young. It's been quite a mess and I have had a tough time accepting that so many of these things are missing...mostly because of the sentimental value. Fortunately, some of my mom's not-so-valuable jewelry was spared...along with her engagement ring (thankfully the thief managed to overlook this). I know these things are just things, but they all had stories and can never truly be replaced. This is especially true for the items that had been given to us by loved ones who had passed away. My dad was heartbroken along with the rest of us about these things being gone and as happy as I was about my wedding...I have had a tough time being happy about it this past week. However, today I have decided to at least try celebrating everything in spite of this evil act and the many sorrows that have followed it.

Today, I will share with you one of the happiest days of my life.
___________________________________________

Below is a photograph of my family and me. I went for a fifties look with the dress. I got up at 5 or so that morning to get my hair and makeup done (so that I could look like a girl and not a lab rat) and was very excited by the beautiful work done. I gave the bridesmaids a bit of freedom with regards to dresses and dress colors. They settled for these very cute navy blue dresses. I have a friend who makes fascinators and she ended up doing a lovely job on the bridesmaids fascinators. Please, please visit her site and check out her very lovely works! You will not be disappointed if you order one or two...TRUST ME. They got so many compliments! (A link to her etsy shop: Madame Merrywidow Hats and Accessories


I purchased the vintage pill box hat veil on Etsy. The dried flower and birch bride bouquet, bridesmaids bouquets, boutonnieres, and altar flowers were all purchased from a lovely little Etsy shop called New Hampshire Woods Creations. They were very sturdy, beautiful, and well-made. Ostentatious rose and ranunculus arrangements just aren't my style and I loved the idea of a dried flower arrangement alternative. It ended up working really well with the feel of the wedding. The shoes were white leather heels with straps at the top (which I ditched  for white tennis shoes in the parking lot of the church following the service and photographs...as I am way too practical to ever suffer in the name of beauty). 

My husband picked out some pretty great suits for the groomsmen. Coat-tails! Suspenders! Bow ties! Navy blue vests! All of the gentlemen looked very handsome in their ensembles...but the most handsome man there was the groom (and I was the lucky girl who got to marry him!). My dad did his own thing when it came to dressing up for the big day (I can assure you that he would probably never wear coat-tails and I respect that). One very sweet thing he did was wear the tie he wore to his own wedding. He told me this as I was waiting for our turn in the procession preceding the mass. Yes, I cried. Yes, he tried his best to distract me from all of those overwhelming feelings that come over brides right before the big moment. I even got a Salazar joke before we made our grand entrance. I laugh when I get nervous, so I actually ended up laughing  on my way up the aisle. 
I walked in to "Pescador the Hombres" as it is a song that will forever remind my of my mom, who used to sing in the choir for Portuguese mass. 
Excerpt from Wedding Program
We tried going for a bit of Lord of the Rings feel here...with the script and border.
The following pictures were taken during the mass, exchange of vows, and exchange of rings...unfortunately there are no images (yet) of the groom tripping after the floral offering...or images of me catching him before he fell. Crazy story, at the first church we visited following our marriage...I tripped in the front of the church after we lit candles and said prayers for loved ones. My husband caught me before I fell. Can you say match made in heaven? 
Exchanging Vows... In all honesty at this part of the ceremony,
it felt like it was just me, the groom, the padre, and God. According to witnesses,
 it even looked like we were in our own little world.
Oh, and check out the shoes...you won't see these awesome(ly painful) shoes for long...

Exchanging rings...I can only imagine how many iPhones and such were pulled out during this part...

The happy couple...just look at the bow tie and coat tails!! So debonaire!
Better yet, just look at those smiles...

Walking hand in hand as husband and wife! Oh snap!
The ceremony was one of the most beautiful events I have ever experienced. But the reception wasn't too bad either!
Yep, that is a handmade Tardis on top of the cake
EX-TER-MIN-ATE!
Our wedding reception took place the Richfield Regency. They did a phenomenal job with everything. They do wedding packages. You get food, the wedding cake, linens, etc. thrown into a package as well as an ice sculpture at  no added cost. I never wanted an ice sculpture and neither did the husband...but it came as part of the package and we decided that if we would have to get a ice sculpture...we may as well have fun with it. Forget ice swans and ice hearts with our names carved into them. Those are too boring. The sculpture we settled on, however, not so much. 

A TARDIS ice sculpture is so awesome!!!
We both LOVED it and a bunch of guests (including those who weren't Whovians) thought it was cool. I think we may have even helped people get interested in the show by explaining to them what the daleks and TARDIS were all about. I liked how we both managed to infuse our wedding with subtle touches of geekiness in a way that wasn't too overpowering.
Close-up of the TARDIS ICE SCULPTURE!
In case you are wondering, the husband is a HUGE Star Wars fan. We compromised on our first dance song. He agreed we could dance to "All I want is You" by U2 if we used this as our entrance music....


The things I do for love...


The Father and Daughter dance was De Nina a Mujer by Julio Iglesias
We laughed the whole time once we realized that neither of us really knew how to dance.
Notice the comfy tennis shoes I am wearing?
The best man speech and maid of honor speech were both hysterical. Everyone enjoyed them, as evidenced by the laughs as well as the spontaneous Bono versus Lennon shouting match. My husband and I first ended up together following and epic argument over who was better...Bono or John Lennon. The fight goes on to this day...but it was nice seeing how my half of the wedding guests rooted for Bono while the husband's half rooted for Lennon. All I can say is that Bono is obviously champion...

I didn't do a garter toss, but I did do a bouquet toss with a twist. I tied a bunch of nerdy wishes to rose stems and threw a bunch of roses at the group of ladies who came out to the dance floor to Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies." (The wedding party were introduced to Beastie Boys Intergalactic.)

The husband and I ended up going to Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA for our honeymoon. We intend to go to Europe at some point for an extensive honeymoon...but at present, the days we spent in New Hope and Lambertville were absolutely wonderful and fantastic enough to be considered a true Honeymoon. We visited a beautiful church there, we thoroughly enjoyed a black out (drinking digestifs as we waited for the rain to stop), we tried Cajun food, we window shopped to our hearts content, we vintage shopped to our hearts' content, we went on nice walks together, we enjoyed nature together, and we had a very relaxing time doing the things we enjoy best (mainly trying new foods, sharing a drink or two, and having conversations about everything and nothing at all).

And there you have it...the wedding. It was awesome. 

The wedding party!
So many wonderful people!
Pax Vobiscum



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Beautiful pictures - you look stunning, and the groom very handsome. Looks like it was so much fun too:) Many blessings to you both in the start of your new life together!!!

    I'm so very sorry to hear about the burglary, but thank God no one was hurt. It's such an awful feeling, though, to be invaded and lose precious belongings in the process. Hopefully they'll catch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was one of the best days of my life and the ceremony was like a dream. It was also definitely a blast getting to see so many people I like together in one place. Thank you so much for the blessings!

      I am getting used to the robbery being a reality and though I am not expecting to ever get anything back...I am still hoping I may chance upon something one day. Saint Anthony never fails to disappoint!

      Delete
  2. I'm catching up on my blog reading - congratulations!

    And would you mind if I posted the wedding cake pic over at my blog? That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the congrats!

      PLEASE DO SHARE! They did such a fantastic job with the cake, so why not?!?

      Delete