Follow by Email

Iona

Thanks to Pandora, that addictive online radio, I have discovered yet ANOTHER Christian group that has made me eat my words. One day while listening to music as I was typing along, an ethereal tune caught my attention. It was a simple but extremely powerful song and even though I was unable to catch the lyrics right away...the voice was hauntingly beautiful. I may have closed out of Pandora before I had the chance to "thumbs up" the song...so I was unable to get the information right away. Without any leads in sight, I stopped trying to find the song and simply told myself that I would catch it the next time. I kept listening to the station I had heard it on (Mediaeval Baebes, for the record...they're stuff is awesome too if you ever want to check out some pretty good female voices singing in Old English).

The illuminated manuscript design should have been a clue...
 Fast forward to a few days ago. I was doing things around the house with my jams playing...when all of a sudden, there it was....THE SONG. I stopped what I was doing, clicked the "thumbs up" and made a station out of this "IONA" group. I figured I would check out their music for the rest of the day, and so I left it on the Iona station. My sister comes in hours later and asks me why I am listening to one of her contemporary Christian bands (the song was by some band called Starfield)...and I tell her that I have no idea what she's talking about. It turns out that Iona is a Christian progressive rock band. Scrolling back through the songs I had listened to, I realized that I had been listening to deceptively subtle Christian music all day. 

The original song that got me hooked on Iona was no exception. Upon further inspection, the song turned out to be "Kells Opening theme" from their album "Book of Kells" (this album name should have been a clue). Closer inspection of the lyrics revealed some pretty Christian themes as well. The video....even more Christian imagery. If you want to hear how good the song is, click on the video below and simply listen as you type away at something or get some errands done around the house. If you are anything like me, you will not immediately hear how Christian it is. Once you finish hearing, scroll down to the beautiful lyrics below.



I stand on ground I've walked before,
To seek the way

And watch the moon rise into night,
Illuminating with its light

My thoughts they turn in time and place,
Illuminated Word of grace
Where I will find the way divine

A throne in sight that blazes like eternal dawn
The mystery of Father, Spirit and the Son,
The Three in One

And precious stones of colours bright
Eagle and calf, lion and man,
Do meet around the throne of light

In colours rich that last through time
In patterns of the Spirit's mind
Illuminated Word divine

I stand on ground I've walked before,
To seek the way

Don't these lyrics just make you want to quit what you're doing now and join a monastery/convent? I know I am tempted to do so. That, or I may have to just keep listening to their music.... 


Pax Vobiscum

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found Iona, one of my favorites. There is a lot of good Christian music out there, much of it off the beaten path. Then there's music that while not Christian specifically, comes out of that worldview, even if they don't know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say...even though I've had to put my foot in my mouth quite frequently lately, I am really liking the music...so feel free to let me know if you have any other favorites!

      Delete