Follow by Email

PhriDay Phive: Homophobic Kool-Aid Drinking Bigot Edition

Well, this week has certainly been interesting....to say the least.

1. Well, I finally went to see someone about my back...after my former mentor and very good friend of mine referred me to her chiropractor. Holy moly, I had no idea that my back was in such bad shape. I went in for my upper back as it has been bothering me for years (this is what happens when you combine bookbags and  monstrously huge science textbooks!!!). I have had good and bad days with my back through the years and just figured that it was a common age-related issue that was aggravated by my wearing a bag all of the time. Boy, was I wrong. The x-rays revealed that my spine is starting to curve (or straighten in some locations) and looks like the spine you would expect to see in a 40-50 year old's body. (I had always said I was a 40 year old trapped in a 20 year old's body!) On top of that, the lower back is probably in the worst shape. Up until my chiropractor's appointments, I could not get up from lying on my back without feeling some intense lower back pain. I thought this was normal because I've felt it for so long, I just figured that I had a body type, etc. that did not allow me to lay straight down. I've always slept on my stomach, so this was never really an issue for me. Turns out it only hurts like hell when I get up (and when it's poked) because I have all sorts of inflammation going on there due to two spinous processes rubbing up against each other. Unfortunately, I have a $500 deductible with my current insurance...so I am well on my way to being all sorts of college kid broke until my next paycheck. 

2. I FINALLY went to confession this past Saturday and felt all kinds of awesome after FINALLY going up for communion for the first time in months. I am not very good of staying on target when it comes to confession and receiving the Eucharist...as previous posts will tell you. I also FINALLY remembered to bring little bottles to church with me on Sunday so I could get a little bit of holy water for my apartment. As soon as I got home, I poured some of it into a tiny glass vial with a cork top...because...well, a plastic bottle just doesn't seem good enough for something as awesome as holy water.

3. I got involved in the whole Chickengate debate. It seemed like there was no way out of it once I expressed my support for Chick-fil-a as soon as I read about some mayors trying to ban it. It's one thing for celebrities to impose their ideology on others...but it's another thing entirely to have government folk attempt the same thing. I really don't care what one side or the other cares about. What I do care about is that these different individuals are allowed to express and have an opinion that is not immediately attacked by government officials. However, this line of thinking appears to have turned me into a "homophobic kool-aid drinking bigot." Talk about "tolerance"(...and I do mean that sarcastically). This instant reaction to my stance did not sit well with me because it appeared as though no one really cared about my reasoning once I said that I would go to Chick-fil-a if I could (you'll see why I couldn't go soon enough). For this reason...I posted the following status on my facebook: 


Contrary to what the media and extremist groups (from both sides) would have you believe, what followed was an honest and very lengthy discussion between a few people who cared enough about my position to actually comment. As far as I know, nobody has defriended me yet. If they have, they aren't missed. I'm sorry, but if friends don't allow you to have a different opinion about something...then they aren't worth having. Call me argumentative, but I refuse to give into this "I'm right because you're wrong and a bigot" mentality. If you think I am wrong, at least be willing to explain why....and be willing to allow me to speak my own piece as well. I am proud to say that even though the comments on my post ranged from extremely conservative to all kinds of liberal...it was a very intelligent discussion (sans name-calling) and respect was shown by all. I haven't had that much fun talking about a particular topic since a friend and I had a debate over "free will" in a Philosophy course years ago.

4. I started the South Beach diet (another one of my old mentor's ideas) and have to say that it has been working very well for me. I may not have been able to indulge myself with Chick-fil-a's waffle fries this week...but  I have lost some weight and have started implementing all sorts of healthy foods and vegetables into my diet that I normally don't eat. I never would have imagined how easy it's been to NOT have a bowl of cereal every morning. However, I must confess that I have been DYING to eat a doughnut for weeks now. I've had the craving for about a month...but have been good about it. However, I really just want to go to the local Quick Check, buy a box of glazed Pop'ems....and have my way with them. I know very well from finals time that I can tuck in a whole box at one sitting if I am not careful...so I am staying away from them...*bites nails and envisions self running to the nearest Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and a glazed doughnut*

5. I have been reading "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord," which is allegedly based on visions by Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich. I've been taken what I've been reading with a grain of salt...but the detail of the events leading up to the crucifixion seem pretty believable even if they don't exactly have the 100% "nihil obstat seal of approval." I do, however, know enough about human weakness, cruelty, and mob behavior to believe that  all of the cruelty Christ faced described in this book COULD HAVE (and I stress the COULD) happened. He could have been tortured as cruelly as this book mentions well before he was scourged at the pillar and he could have faced a lot of the physical and verbal abuse detailed in this book. Regardless of where you stand on this "is it true" debate, I have to say that it is well worth a read. I haven't come across anything that is too contrary to the Passion as it has been taught by the church...but there could very well be some things there that aren't 100% in agreement with what you've come to understand about the passion of Christ. Speaking of which, I have read that Mel Gibson based a lot of the scenes in his "Passion of the Christ" on events described in this book. I'd say give it a try...there are free pdf versions of the book online if you are interested. If you pray the rosary, you will certainly find yourself meditating more deeply on the sorrowful passions after reading this book...that much I CAN confirm.

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment