Follow by Email

The Boy aka The Fiancé

As the title implies, it looks like I am on the road to the sacrament of marriage. The Boy aka "The Fiancé" proposed to me last night. I've told the story a bunch of times, but do not mind telling it again. This weekend the Boy proposed we do dinner in NYC and that I should dress up for it. A t-shirt, jeans, and heinous-looking/uber-comfy sandal sneakers (closed-toe of course for the sake of lab safety requirements) are like second skin to me...but I figured I should probably make an effort. I knew it was coming, since the Boy asked my dad for his permission some time ago...and since we designed the ring together some time ago to ensure that it was both pretty and lab glove-friendly. Have I been dying to tell the world what we've been plotting? You better believe it. However, the Boy wanted to keep the proposal part of the engagement as much a surprise as possible.

I dressed up yesterday not really knowing whether it would really happen or whether it was going to be another fake-out. You can say that it's been a pretty suspenseful few weeks...with a few false alarms/pranks/etc. To give you an example of the golden conversations we've been having lately:

Barbara- So, can you give me some idea as to when you're going to do it?
The Boy- Why?
Barbara- So I know when to shave my legs.
The Boy- Shouldn't you shave your legs anyway?
Barbara- Yeah....that's what the lab said too...

(I must note that I wear pants to the lab everyday, so I may have grown a little lax when it comes to my legs. Also, I have found that not shaving my legs leads to increased jogging speed...as I try to avoid embarrassment.)

So last night we went to dinner at a nice French place on 44th Street. We missed our reservation because the Boy "could have sworn" it was between 5th and 6th. It turns out that it was between 6th and 7th, but the restaurant was able to let us reserve for 7. They sat us in a candle-lit corner of the restaurant at a tiny little table with theatergoers around us. However, it was like we were in our own little world the whole time. We ordered a nice cheese sampler for an appetizer...and I was impressed with how much the Boy enjoyed it (he was QUITE the picky eater back in the day...). I had the chicken with mashed potatoes and ratatouille for dinner...and he had the fruts de mer pasta. The food was DELICIOUS.

I had to go to the lab really early today to get some experiment prep going, so I was hoping to catch an earlier train last night. The Boy had initially planned to walk to Bryant Park with me and propose there over cupcakes (it's one of our places...and cupcakes are our thing when it comes to a dessert when we're out on the town). Between my train schedule and the fact that the food at the restaurant was delicious enough for us to want to at least look at the dessert menu....we ended up having dessert there. I had the creme brulee and he had the passion fruit gelatto. Both were delicious (though I will grudgingly admit that his was better).

I had noticed that he was doing quite a bit fumbling around for his Chapstick at one point of the dinner and then his wallet when we got the check. I decided to play it safe and assume it was yet another fake-out. Knowing him, I fully expected quite a few more fake-outs before he finally proposed. Well, at the very end end, he reached out across the table with a tiny box...opened up...and asked THE QUESTION. The following is a truthful account of the proposal:

The Boy- "Barbara, will you marry me?"

Barbara (while trying to keep a straight face)- You offer it to me freely? I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this. In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! (starts cracking up and still attempts to finish) Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

***To all people out there who don't get the reference, it's Galadriel's monologue from when Frodo offers her the Ring of Power....from Lord of the Rings***


The Boy- (chuckling but still definitely wanting to hear THE ANSWER) Come on, seriously...

Barbara- (turns over to an invisible panel of judges...something the Boy has been doing these days) Judges? 

The Boy- Okay, now, seriously...

Barbara- (misty-eyed) Yes!

It was not an ideal proposal, I know...but it was so "us" as a geeky and constantly joking couple. What made it even more awesome was that no one around us even realized that we were getting engaged right there before their eyes! It was AWESOME.

Here's how I announced my engagement to the Facebook world:
Yes, that is the actual ring. We went for a bezel setting with a sapphire and 2 diamonds in white gold. I've already given the ring a test drive in the lab and can say that it is pretty lab glove-friendly. I wore it all day without tearing a glove!
Needless to say, being the badass Catholic I am...I am SO looking forward to all those pre-Cana courses. I will have to blog about them as we begin. I've already touched base with our friendly, neighborhood padre ...and will have to follow up on it in the very near future. It also turns out the Boy would like to convert to
Catholicism...so he's going to have to go through the whole RCIA thing too. It's looking like a year or so before we get married....and I may actually end up needing all of this time between my qualifying exam this fall, wedding planning, pre-Cana, and my wanting to go for a traditional Catholic wedding (even if it may not have as much Latin in it as I initially planned). Still... I am already pretty excited. SACRAMENT FTW!!!

Pax Vobiscum

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! And MAD props on the Lord of the Rings geekiness! You are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, congrats!!! I'm really happy for you and the boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reply. It was better than mine-Oh, alright then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Bonus points for the geekiness!

    ReplyDelete