Follow by Email

Catholic Prayers in Tolkien's Elvish...

...and a hint of LATIN! (Yes, only the titles are in Latin...but I say that still counts for something!)

I know it sounds crazy. The idea of mixing three things I absolutely LOVE (Catholicism, Latin, and Tolkien) sounds like nothing but trouble...but, come on, you knew something like this was coming...

It looks like I have finally stumbled upon something that made my inner Tolkien nut, inner Catholic nut, AND my inner Latin nut rejoice simultaneously. All three of them are so excited about this, that they are currently setting off fireworks and SQUEE-ing to their hearts' content....while donning togas, setting off Gandalf's fireworks, and adjusting their brown scapulars.  What did I stumble upon? A site that features all sorts of elvish (Sindarin, Quenya, and a few other not-so-well-known languages): Elvish.org

Now, a site focusing on elvish is cool in and of itself. A site with a few well-known prayers in elvish...well, that's a Shadowfax of another color. Throw in a touch of Latin...and you pretty much have something so epic that words cannot describe it. Needless to say, I nearly fell out of my seat...as I was overcome by the need to tell the whole world. As if this wasn't enough...someone made calligraphy art for elvish Ave Maria as well as the Pater Noster. I think I may have just died and gone to heaven. For your viewing pleasure:
"Ataremma" aka "Pater Noster"

And one more!

"Aia Maria" aka "Hail Mary"
Check out this link for more!

I don't know about you guys, but this has to be the most awesome thing I have chanced upon in quite some time. HUZZAH!

Pax Vobiscum!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I'm not Catholic myself - I'm a Protestant of Mennonite extraction - but that's hardly gonna damp my enthusiasm. These prayers are Scripture, and Tolkien translated Scripture into Quenya. I may just explode with squee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that Helge Fauskanger has also translated quite a large part of the gospels.

    See the links at his page here. http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/new.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try here...

    http://sindarinlessonsforum.boards.net/thread/176/core-prayer-christians-oldest-root

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try here...

    http://sindarinlessonsforum.boards.net/thread/176/core-prayer-christians-oldest-root

    ReplyDelete