Follow by Email

Buying Snake Oil from Traveling Campaigners/Salesmen

Okay, remember that time where I time I implied that I would keep politics to a minimum on this blog? Based on what I have been posting about since the HHS mandate travesty, I suppose you already figured out that my past self was unintentionally lying. I really do not like politics, but feel as if I've been forced into it by my conscience. I simply cannot let all this injustice, hypocrisy, and outright lying to go on any farther without saying something about it...or, at the very least, pointing it out. This next quote sums up why I can no longer keep silent:

Obama (in Afghanistan, contrasting US democracy with the religious dictatorships in the Middle East)- 
“We give thanks for our democracy that respects the beliefs and protects the religious freedom of all people to pray, worship, or abstain according to the dictates of their conscience”
This guy is really pushing it here. How can you talk about religious freedom when you are forcing contraception and abortion down everyone's throats whether they like it or not...or even believe in it or not. According to the HHS mandate rules and regulations, EVEN THE SISTERS OF LIFE WOULD HAVE TO INDIRECTLY PAY FOR ABORTION. For all you who are not too familiar with the Sisters of Life, they are a religious community whose members take a vow to "protect and enhance the sacredness of human life." If you get to the bare bones of the matter, Obama's policies and attitude towards even the most pro-life of religious communities out there DO NOT RESPECT OR PROTECT ANY FORM OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. This guy picks and chooses what religious beliefs are allowed to be respected or protected.

Therefore, in an effort so save face on Obama's part as he stomps around Afghanistan and other countries, flaunting how free our nation is...I've decided to edit the aforementioned quote to better reflect the freedoms he seems to advertise more than he protects.

Ahem...
“We give thanks for (what little is left of) our democracy that respects the beliefs and protects the religious freedom of all people (except maybe Catholics, some protestants, and any other religious organization that's been giving me a rough time for the last few months) to pray, worship, or abstain according to the dictates of their conscience as long as they are in agreement with my own conscience
I'm not going to pretend that this election will be a favorable one. Based on the comments and eye rolls I've been getting whenever I talk about my issues with Obama and based on how our media seems to LOVE him...I don't know if he'll lose the election. I guess it makes sense. When reading books like "1984" and "Brave New World," I always wondered how terrible governments took over the US in far-off dystopian futures. For the longest time, I figured the "bad guys" staged a violent invasion of some sort...or that a military junta used force to take over a government. However, the older I've gotten...I've become more aware of how things operate. Freedoms are best lost in secrecy, flattery, and a careful use of words. They are best lost when you vote for smiling, duplicitous politicians. It's harder to form a resistance when so many people are fooled by empty rhetoric. It's much easier to find enough to people to oppose a government when its cruelty is obvious. If you want to attack religion, create a war on women, a war on race, or a war on socioeconomic status. If you don't create the wars yourself, either support existing wars or ignore existing wars. Hence, all the "War on Women" rhetoric that popped out of nowhere.

How is it a war on women, when there is nothing being taken away from women? Third party insurance has always and will always exist. If your insurance doesn't cover contraceptives, do what college kids have been doing for years...go to Walmart and pick some up for less than $15 a month. I was on contraceptives for 3 years...and know very well just how cheap and accessible they are (regardless of what some pressure group protester female law student tries to tell you). Saying "NO" to the mandate won't change anything for women...but it will allow people to refrain from violating their consciences. Saying "NO" may even help women's health. I was hospitalized twice in the past few months due to a potential blood clot and you want to know what the top question was every time a nurse, doctor, etc. came in?

"...Are you on birth control?"

If birth control pills are the miracle drug you claim them to be...why the association with blood clots? Why all the concern about someone like me (with my crazy health background) taking the same pill that seems to be passed off like candy these days? Got acne? Try the Pill. A little too hairy? Try the Pill. Amenorrhea? Forget about screening for PCOS and any other issue that may be causing it...just try the Pill? Cramps? Try the Pill. Migraines? Try the Pill. 

If the pill is so awesome, why are artificial hormones we flush down the toilet threatening wild fish populations (if you want to find out more about this, stick with scientific sources on this one...not feminist blogs...trust me)? Why this emphasis on women's health when birth control doesn't do anything to take care of the issue? They're like aspirin! You take them and they make the symptoms go away...without ever taking care of the underlying issue. Call me crazy, but if this really was about women's health...I think we'd be focusing more attention on cancer and heart disease (still a major killer)?

I do not believe "The Pill" will ever be essential to any woman's health. We are such a health conscious population that is so worried about GMOs, saturated fat, artificial sweeteners, etc...but we are more than willing to prescribe the pill as if it were some miraculous cure...and more than willing to start a war over it.

You want a war? How about joining the fight against age discrimination? How about fighting against Downs Syndrome discrimination? How about fighting against the current war on unborn women?

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment