Follow by Email

Divine Mercy Novena Day 9

Today we are asked to pray for the lukewarm souls of this world. These souls could be those of nominal Catholic, "Cafeteria Catholics," the "Hatch, Match, and Dispatch" Catholics, and every other thing in between. In some ways, these people have it easy. Though these people may have some faith...they are like the seeds that fell in the rocks in Christ's parable of the sower. These people may have enough faith to consider themselves Catholics and enough faith to follow some standards of Catholicism...but their faith can be easily shaken when life hits hard times. Their faith can also be shaken by the lies of the media, the scorn of the militant atheists, and the world's blatant disdain for any form of holiness.

These people may be be innocent of the same sins that cause us to fall...but they do not have the same support system that we do. They may forget or begin to scorn the sacrament of reconciliation. They may ignore the teachings of Christ that make them uncomfortable...and ultimately give into temptation out of ignorance or misunderstanding. They may be too lukewarm to defend their own faith when it is attacked...and they may ultimately pull a Saint Peter and deny Christ before the eyes of their foes. Saint Peter saw what he had done and rectified his slip by preaching Christ's word and laying down his life in the name of Christ....but this is not always possible for those who wander far from Christ when their faith is too weak to come back. Today we are called to pray for the lukewarm souls. We are called to pray that they may listen to the soft whispers of God's call.

I used to be one of those lukewarm souls. I went to mass out of habit rather than faith. I used to question Christ's teachings and modeled my own error-laden religion after the parts of Catholicism I liked. I was still "catholic" but I was certainly not Catholic. It took an act of God to literally wake me up from the life I had chosen. My faith formation after that ended up leading to my complete reconciliation with Church teachings. It hasn't been easy and I am sure my beliefs aren't very popular in a world so full of corruption and evil....but they are true and they have brought me closer to God. It is possible that some kind soul out there prayed for my complete conversion of heart, but I may never find out until I meet them in heaven one day. However, had it not been for this small, but still divine, intervention in my own life, I would still be a lukewarm Catholic. Please take the time to pray for the conversion of another soul who may need a prayer or two to turn closer to God. You may be the first or last prayer needed to make this soul burn with a yearning for God and a desire for holiness. If you have a soul in mind, feel free to pray for them...but keep your heart open for the conversion of another, unknown soul in need of some extra help on their journey to God. Who knows, they may turn out to be the next St. Augustine?!

I may sound a bit selfish here, but I am hoping my prayers will lead to the full Saint Paul-like conversion of another Catholic geek....I'd love to talk science and theology in-depth with more people!
Day 9
"Today bring to Me the Souls who have become Lukewarm, and immerse them in the abyss of My mercy. These souls wound My Heart most painfully. My soul suffered the most dreadful loathing in the Garden of Olives because of lukewarm souls. They were the reason I cried out: 'Father, take this cup away from Me, if it be Your will.' For them, the last hope of salvation is to run to My mercy."
Most compassionate Jesus, You are Compassion Itself. I bring lukewarm souls into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart. In this fire of Your pure love, let these tepid souls who, like corpses, filled You with such deep loathing, be once again set aflame. O Most Compassionate Jesus, exercise the omnipotence of Your mercy and draw them into the very ardor of Your love, and bestow upon them the gift of holy love, for nothing is beyond Your power.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon lukewarm souls who are nonetheless enfolded in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. Father of Mercy, I beg You by the bitter Passion of Your Son and by His three-hour agony on the Cross: Let them, too, glorify the abyss of Your mercy. Amen.

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment