Follow by Email

10 Strange Things People Do At Night aka CATHOLIC FTW

The BBC recently came out with a pretty interesting article "The Myth of the Eight-Hour Sleep." It explained a practice called segmented sleep.

Segmented sleep breakdown:
1. Go to bed early (in my opinion anything before 12am is early).
2. Wake up in the middle of the night.
3. Stay awake for a few hours.
4. Go back to sleep.
5. Wake up refreshed and ready to go!

Naturally, considering my own bizarre sleep schedule, I found this article to be fascinating. We hear a lot about how 8 straight hours of sleep is normal and necessary for health...but this article suggested that 8 hours of sleep was unnatural and not something that was very common throughout human history.

"Roger Ekirch says this 1595 engraving by Jan Saenredam is evidence of activity at night "-BBC
Apparently our ancestors had the habit of getting up in the middle of the night to go visit neighbors, pray, and attend to all sorts of other matters. To read the rest of this really cool article, click here!

It came as no surprise to me that this article became one of the most read and shared pieces on the website. As I type this post, it remains one of the BBC News top reads. Naturally, people sent in stories about their own bizarre sleep schedules, which led to a post featuring "Ten Strange Things People Do At Night." Call me a cynic, but I half-expected at least one of them to inappropriate. However, all of them turned out to be pretty cool. One person remembered the times he had spent as a kid staying awake in the middle of the night with his Yali tribe friends in Indonesia.  Another person talked about how they spent some hours painting the  images that pop into their mind when they wake up at 3am. Another reader, a Muslim individual, mentioned getting up to pray the Tahajjud (night prayer). Another reader talked about the Korean soaps they got hooked on and how the characters were much more moral than the standard soap opera rubbish you tend to see in the US.

Call me a little biased, but my favorite was from a woman in Canada named Theresa (though I must say that the Yali tribe story came in close second):
I haven't been able to sleep through the night since I was pregnant with my first child, 24 years ago. Also, my husband snores like a Harley Davidson motorcycle, so I used to go sleep on the sofa in the living room.
 Recently he has been having trouble sleeping and wakes in the night too. We have decided to go to bed early on a Saturday night and get up around 02:30 to go meditate at our church.
It is a Catholic church where they have a chapel that is open all night for special prayers called 24-hour adoration. According to these prayers, someone has to be there 24 hours a day so we relieve the person who lets us in and we stay until someone else shows up. 
That hour usually flies by. We come home relaxed, go back to bed and sleep again until the morning.
HOW AWESOME IS THIS?!?! I so want to take a part of this one night! Perhaps once my schedule gets a little hectic, I may have to try this out if there's a 24 hour adoration around here.

Happy March everyone!

Pax Vobiscum



No comments:

Post a Comment