Follow by Email

My First Scathing Letter to the White House

I sent this to the White House just now in response to their most recent attempt to "compromise" as well as the condescending response they sent regarding the petition to toss the HHS mandate. This is the first time I actually sent a scathing letter to the White House and may not be my last by the looks of things. Feel free to read:

To whom it may concern,

This response to our petition to remove the HHS mandate is an insult. Pardon my language and frankness, but you must really think that people like me are idiots. As disappointing as this may seem to you, I can actually read and understand the true intent of this letter...just as I understand the intent of this mandate. You can't hide your true intent behind the niceties of this letter. Your intentions are clear and they still threaten quite a few freedoms.

This response proves to me that you are ignoring our concerns and simply going ahead with a plan that violates the consciences of many employers who will now have to choose between adhering to an unfair law and forgetting about religious freedom...or refusing to violate their conscience and face the legal repercussions. For an administration that sold messages of "hope" and unification in the last election, I have never seen such a determination to divide a nation for the sake of self-interests. I know exactly what sort of organizations support this mandate and who they supported during election time. You can't hide this between pleasant words and your futile attempts at relating to our cause and concerns are appalling.

Your response to our petition is shameful. You should be ashamed of your condescending tone, your attempts to patronize the people behind the petition, the biased sources you used to justify your argument...and your inability to cooperate with those whose conscience you refuse to understand. I am ashamed that this country's history will be forever blemished by this unreasonable administration and forever tarnished by the lack of willingness on this administration's part to truly cooperate with people who simply cannot and should not comply with a law that violates consciences. America was not created for the rights of its citizens to be trampled upon by a government that refuses to genuinely address our concerns. It was created in defiance, in response to an unreasonable king and empire that refused to address the concerns of its colonies....a king that chose, instead, to impose restrictions and unfair laws on his "colonists."

Surely you must see how this mandate controversy parallels with the controversy that led to the formation of this nation.

I was born into a country that prided itself in the freedoms held by its people. These freedoms made this nation great and they were a hope to the oppressed of nations ruled by tyrants. How dare you support a blatant violation to these freedoms? How dare you attempt to promote a known carcinogen as health care? How dare you quote Planned Parenthood in a matter of conscience and religious freedom...an organization that PROFITS from abortions, contraception, etc?

How dare you mock us with such a rubbish compromise? Even if the burden falls on insurance companies to carry these "treatments," it is still the money of the employer (Catholic or otherwise) that pays for this coverage. NOTHING CHANGED WITH THIS COMPROMISE. Did you really think we were stupid enough to believe this "compromise" was actually a true compromise? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED for attempting to pull the wool over our eyes. You should be ashamed for insulting our intelligence with your condescension. We are not fools. We are Americans who know our rights. We know what the word "freedom" truly means...even if the current administration is confused by this concept.

America deserves better than this administration. America deserves better than this mandate. I will continue to protest against it. I will continue to make my voice heard.

Thank you,

Barbara Soares

17 comments:

  1. Wow. The Defense of Marriage Act. The National Defense Authorization Act. And now this impediment of religion and individual conscience? Kind of makes me want to vote Republican!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern Democratic Party hates you.

      Delete
    2. This is certainly not the Democratic party I remember supporting back in the day...and will most likely vote Republican in the next election. (I still can't believe I am saying this.)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the support. I really hate politics...but I can't help but stand up at this point. There are far too many power grabs going on right now masked by pretenses of "freedom," "concern," "health," and "American welfare." Call me paranoid, but I have read far too many dystopian novels in my youth to let the government go on with this. The things I see (or, better yet, DON'T SEE) in the media right now are also cause for concern.

    Keep up the good fight guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you TCSG. I hate politics too and until now, have stayed out of it. But I can't keep silent on this. I've read the books as well and have watched from near and far as America's government has begun to strangle its peoples freedoms. As an anthropologist and mother of 3.75 kids (due Easter) I can't stand by and watch this happen. Kudos to you and a well expressed letter.

      Delete
  3. I know! The e-mail they sent out started with, "Thank you for using We the People to make your voice heard about the Obama Administration's decision to ensure that women have access to free preventive care with no co-pays, including contraceptive services, no matter where they work."

    Hello? I am morally against contraception, that's why I signed the petition against forcing my moral brethren to provide it...and contraception is NOT in the best interest of women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to send this to the Op Ed section of a few major newspapers as well (Washington Post, for example)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To those of you talking "Democrat/Republican"...those days have long been over, and I hope this entire fiasco will serve as a much-needed lesson: never vote according to political party.

    Vote according to the issues, selecting the candidate that best upholds the most important issues. This is what Catholics did not do in the last presidential election, and look at the results. Many Catholics voted according to party and in support of a lesser issue promulgated by a political party. Yes, universal health care is a lesser issue. Our freedom to live according to our virtues is THE most important issue. We've demonstrated this for the last couple weeks.

    Also, let's not continue to bank on a President. A 2/3 majority in both the house and the senate can truly effect change. We should be supporting congressional candidates who also uphold our core values, regardless their party or stances on lesser issues, and working to vote them into office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and when I say 2/3 majority, I'm not talking political party, but stance on core issues.

      Delete
    2. You're right, you're really right. I'm not terribly versed in politics, but it seems that a lot of politicians are supporting issues you wouldn't ordinarily think they would. Individuals make a lot more difference than a party.

      Delete
  6. Well said.

    I received the same form letter from them on Friday, and wondered at how they could barely muster the courtesy to pretend they felt anything but pity and scorn at our backwards beliefs. "But here are quotes from organizations you oppose who think this new law is great; can't that be good enough for you?" Um, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ridiculous intro to that letter was what prompted the "you must really think that people like me are idiots" part of my own letter...

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I would have expected something this smugly presumptuous from a Monty Python skit, not from the White House; or at least, before this year I would have....

    ReplyDelete