Follow by Email

Geeky but Profound

It's a stretch...but it may just be appropriate for this blog...kind of. 

Well, firstly because I cracked up when I saw it. Secondly, because it's all about our calling to "Love one another." Thirdly, Tolkien was Catholic and that's as good a reason as any to share this. As far as I'm concerned, if it's Tolkien then it's Catholic and geeky enough for this blog. I got it from my sister, who got it from a friend, who got it from...some unknown internet source.

One of the coolest Catholics of all time....
Here we go...the best  Facebook status of all time:

That Hobbit you just called fat? He's skipping 2nd breakfast. The dwarf woman you called ugly? She spends hours braiding her hair so you can differentiate her from a dwarf man. That Uruk-Hai you just killed? He's been abused by Saruman. See that Gollum creature with gangly limbs & large eyes? For 500 years, the Ring has poisoned his mind. That elf you just made fun of for crying? He just lost his wizard friend to a Balrog. Repost this if you're against bullying in Middle-Earth.

In all seriousness, I do not tolerate bullying at all. I was bullied for most of my childhood and know what it's like to be insecure about everything from my culture to my weight. I was the fat kid. Looking at old childhood photos...I can't believe I was considered fat! I wasn't completely thin...but I still can't believe how my 11 year old self believed those mean little mouths! I was also the geek (well, they were right on the money with that one...but their attitude about it wasn't). I was the kid with the glasses (still am). I was the Portuguese kid (Pork and Cheese is not too bad a racial slur when you think about it, but it still hurt those days). I was the hairy kid (how times have changed...can't tell you how much hair I lose around finals). I was the kid with the weird clothes. I was even the kid that people called "gay." I wasn't gay...I was just too young to actually like boys (we'll get into the over sexualization of our youth in a later post).

Bullying is really truly one of the worst epidemics this nation has ever encountered. I get the impression that things haven't improved since when I was a kid. I'd even venture to say that things got much worse. I really hope that the kids out there learn a few lessons in empathy and true charity. They may not be getting those lessons from television, music, and the world in general...but that's where we come in. As people who made it through those awkward, terrible years...we should do what we can to help the kids of today get over this terrible epidemic. 

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment