Follow by Email

Eureka! A Patron Saint for this Blog!

Albertus Magnus, where have you been my whole life?!?!
After much searching and many default prayers to St. Benedict regarding incubator contamination (among other things that went awry in the lab)...I have finally found the patron saint of scientists! His name, St. Albert the Great aka ALBERTUS MAGNUS! 

According to Wikipedia, his interests included logic, theology, botany,  geography, astronomy, mineralogy, chemistry, zoology, physiology, etc. Less reputable sources (*cough* *cough) even claimed that Albertus Magnus discovered the Philosopher's Stone. How do you like them apples, Nicholas Flamel!?! (Sorry, I had to throw that in there...being the Harry Potter nut that I am.)

Apparently, Albertus Magnus did dabble in all sorts of science and alchemy...on top of being an advisor to the Pope...eventually becoming on of 34 Doctors of the Church! However, that is not all! Word on the street is that he even mentored Thomas of Aquinas! Talk about awesome....and considering how tough St. Thomas of Aquinas's works are to tough to digest, Albertus Magnus must have been a genius!

On a more religious note, it was Our Lady who instructed him to join the Dominican Order. Even though he had such a great mind for science, he listened to her! One of the things that really spoke volumes to me (besides the dozens of books he wrote in his life time) was that Albertus Magnus (this name is really just too awesome to use only once) advocated a peaceful coexistence of science and religion! 

Peaceful coexistence of science and religion!!! This is what I advocate in my own daily life! 

Considering how this blog blends science geekery as well as all that is good and Catholic, The Catholic Science Geek now has a patron saint! I will have to make Albertus Magnus a permanent fixture here once my finals are complete! 

"The aim of natural science is not simply to accept the statements of others, but to investigate the causes that are at work in nature."
 ~Albertus Magnus

Can you say "intellectual crush?" I feel like a teenage girl gushing over insert celebrity heart throb here's latest haircut. Albertus Magnus had me at "not simply accept the statements of others." My geeky heart is all aflutter. I have to hunt down a medal for this guy to add to my collection (I think I have ~17 that I carry with me on a daily basis and a few more lying around in my room). I really hope this saint is ready for all the neuro-related prayers heading his way! I need all the intercession I can get these days!

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment