Follow by Email

My Guardian Angel's Sense of Humor

Yes, I believe in guardian angels. You can do your best to convince me that they're just something some parent made up a long time ago to get their kid to stop being afraid of the dark. However, I am pretty steadfast in my faith when it comes to guardian angels. I don't think believing in them is mandatory...but that doesn't make them any less important in my life.

This is what I am talking about....
Jacob Wrestling with the Angel
by Alexander Louis Leloir
For the record, I don't believe in angels in the way that most of the world believes in angels. They are spiritual beings, not babies with wings and harps. They are formidable allies that protect us from all the evil spirits that wander the earth seeking the destruction of souls...not fluffy-winged Precious Moments angels with huge heads and puppy-dog eyes. They are extremely intelligent and faithful servants of God that inhabit the world with us to guide us, help us strengthen our faith, and protect us in ways that we will not always completely understand. They're kind of like us...only more awesome. You see, we are like a go-between...we are spiritual beings as well as physical beings. We we are too much like angels to ever be animals, we are still too much like animals to ever be angels.

...and this is not what I am talking about...
Sorry Precious Moments franchise...
I know I've kept my guardian angel pretty busy over these past 25 years...between all the near-death experiences and the times where I questioned everything...including guardian angels. Regardless of all this trouble, my guardian angel has stuck with me through thick and thin. The subject of angels came up during conversation with a fellow Catholic some weeks ago. This prompted me to look up a few things on angels. I came across some things that sounded awesome as well as some uber-crazy stuff (they will allow anything on the internet these days).

My favorite tidbit (which may or may not be Vatican-approved): If we fall asleep while praying, our guardian angel finishes our prayer for us. Considering how many times I have fallen asleep while praying over the years....I can only begin imagine how much praying my angel has done for me. 

In any event, ever since reading up on angels, I have made an effort to ask my guardian angel for help whenever possible. Believe it or not, I think it's worked.

One night, a few weeks ago, I asked my guardian angel to do a favor for me. It wasn't a "prove you're real by doing this for me" favor. It was more like an "I really miss my mom and wish she was here" favor. For some reason, I had the urge to hug my mom. For the most part, I have accepted that my mom has passed away and time has made this loss more bearable over the years. However, there are still occasions where I just really wish that she was still here. That night was one of those nights. I had a crazy idea to ask my guardian angel to give her a hug for me and make sure that she was okay for me. I then asked my angel to show me some sign that my mom had gotten her hug. I didn't ask for the affirmation as proof...more as reassurance that my mom got her hug and knew that I still missed her and thought of her.

Believe it or not, as soon as I finished asking this, I hear a crash. I get up to investigate, and find that my Legolas standup had fallen face first onto the ground. Mind you, this stand-up was leaning back against the wall and neither me nor my sister had moved or caused any disturbance for it to fall. Also, it should have fallen backwards if it was to fall at all. This is the same Legolas standup that I jokingly refer to as the guy that watches over me as I sleep (elves never sleep and have great eyesight as well as aim...making them perfect guardians against everything from orcs to robbers). A split second after I realized that it was Legolas on the floor, I realized that my guardian angel has a sense of humor...
Padre Pio and the Guardian Angel
by Guido Reni

Of all the things to fall down (or get knocked over)...it had to be my Legolas stand-up. I guess my guardian angel wanted to make sure that I knew that I have someone else that watches over me as I sleep...

For more on guardian angel stories:

Padre Pio Guardian Angel Stories
St Gemma Galgani Guardian Angel stories

If you got any stories of your own, I would love to hear them.

Pax Vobiscum

2 comments:

  1. Hello,I believe in Angels too.My children went in The Guardian Angel School,and my little kid is called Michael.I've read your article,and I'm according with you.But,just one thing to tell you: Angels are around us,whenever,wherever,in everywhere, and the most important,in our hearts.Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had many real experiences with my guardian angel. I used to ask him to wake me up on time for work every night. :) Although believing in them may not be mandatory, the Church has a feast day for them--October 2! When I was in high school and had moved to another state and was pretty lonely because I couldn't make any friends, on the feast of the Guardian Angels I remember sitting on my bed and crying and asking my guardian angel to be my friend. And immediately, my guardian angel hugged me.

    I don't know how to describe it, but I *felt* that hug, inside and out. It was very, very real.

    So yes, guardian angels are awesome--and they do indeed give hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete