Follow by Email

God Must Have Been Listening

I went to mass at St. Paul's Chapel in Columbia U. last Thursday. I was between classes and realized that I had more than enough time to make it to mass. The service was beautiful and the homily spoke to me. I loved it. I loved it so much, I kind of wish that I had recorded it. Unfortunately, the thought did not occur to me until it was too late. Then I started debating whether or not it would be appropriate to record a mass or not. After debating back and forth, my short attention span calmed down a bit and I was soon able to listen to mass again.

Today, I am on the train listening to my notes from Neuro (while cloud watching) and I skip through the notes I've recorded. At one point, I find that I made some form of white noise recording. The white noise recording turns into a rhythmic bumping noise with some shuffling. Then I hear muted voices whispering and/or murmuring. My first reaction was an OH CRAP followed by panic. I thought my handy-dandy-never-failed-me-yet recorder had failed at recording the Neuro lecture. Then the voice clears and I realize that it does not belong to any of the Neuro instructors. A little bit into the lecture, I realize that it has nothing to do with Neuro.

How do I know? Well.....Have you ever heard a Neuroscience course start like this?
"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"
"Amen." 
Yep, you guessed right...for the first time in my recorder's life (had this thing for about 2 years or so)...it recorded something on its own. It recorded the mass that I had wanted to record....AND THE AWESOME HOMILY!

On top of that, but you also get a minute or so of what bookbag sounds like from the inside (where I keep all my pens and pencils). The swishing that came with each bumping noise was a waterfall of pens shuffling in my backpack with each step I took. So not only do we get an awesome mass on this recording, we get the soothing, rhythmic sounds of "Barbara's Backpack on a Sunny Summer Day During a Tour of Columbia." You could totally meditate to those sweet sounds!

If you've read my blog long enough, you must know by now that I am counting this as a miracle. I know some of you may consider this complete chance. Others may be getting a little tired of my counting everything as a miracle...and will humor me by reading yet another miracle post. To all you miracle naysayers out there, I got a few words from a fellow scientist/geek Al.
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is."- Albert Einstein

Here's to those of us who see everything as a miracle (and live a much better life because of it)!

A much better life...that includes MEETING Gandalf!!!
My Gandalf Miracle = Other Story


Pax Vobiscum
 

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I started carrying a small journal with me to write down good homily thoughts I knew I would never remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did do that for a while...then I forgot the journal one day...and then I kept forgetting the journal. I'm a typical absentminded scientist...

    ReplyDelete