Follow by Email

Not Quite What I Expected...

You can say that I spent this 4th of July in a very not-so-American fashion. I did not eat apple pie. Instead, I drank tea. I did not watch fireworks today. Instead, I spent the entire day watching BBC's Merlin (a British programme...oh dear, I even spelled program like Brit). Instead of listening to Bruce Springsteen or any other uber-American musicians....I listened to "U2 Live at Slane Castle." Our forefathers would be ashamed of my Anglophilia and my love of all things Ireland.

Besides watching television, I also caught up on some painting. Normally, I don't have too much time on my hands. This often leads to my having quite a few unfinished paintings on my hands. This past Friday, I tackled a 2x4 foot painting that I intended to finish by Saturday for the feast of the Immaculate Heart. My painting was of the Blessed Virgin Mary and her Immaculate Heart. The painting, still remains nowhere near finished. This is due to laziness on my end, my new Bed Bath and Beyond addiction, my latest interior decorating obsession, and a barbecue invite (okay...maybe this is a tad Fourth of July-ish even if it took place on the wrong day).

Last night, I finished up a triptych that I had been working on (well, off and on) for several months. I painted until 2am this morning and I finished it. I call it "Beren and Luthien" after one of my favorite couples in the Tolkien universe (another blatant example of my Anglophilia). I added the varnish after I got up, ate breakfast, and prayed the rosary this afternoon (I woke up at 12...).

Since I already had my supplies out, I started on another nowhere-near-finished painting I had lying around...one depicting St. Raphael defeating a demon (from the book of Tobit...one of my favorites). One thing led to another, and I soon realized that I was painting something completely different...something completely unexpected. Next thing I know, it was completed....and here it is.
"Nuestra SeƱora de Guadalupe" 
Acrylic on Canvas
7/4/11
Turns out I was not so unpatriotic today after all...

You see, Our Lady of Guadalupe (as I have since found out) is the Patroness of the Americas. Quite an unexpected...but still welcome surprise....and very appropriate. I guess this is proof that God draws straight with crooked lines...and maybe that I have redeemed myself for my slacking off this past Saturday. In any event, I may have even been a tad patriotic today after all.

With that said, happy Fourth of July America...may you prosper under the protection of Our Lady.

Pax Vobiscum


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture of the Virgin! Our Lady of Guadalupe is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We Portuguese seem to have an affinity for Our Lady of Fatima...but I've been catching up on Our Lady of Guadalupe. Same person, I know, but a whole lot to learn from both stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, but I've finally decided to comment. on something:

    ".....God draws straight with crooked lines....."

    Awesome. Although living in England I don't share your love of all things Anglo - certainly not post WW2 Anglo anyway.

    Excellent blog by the way, it's one of several (including all the Bright Maidens and Bad Catholic blogs) that I have deemed cool enough to be in my RSS ticker at the bottom of my browser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arjay, I am honored. Thank you for checking out the blog....

    I suppose I understand where you're coming from when it comes to all things Anglo. It's like living in America and not understanding why tourists would ever want to flock to NYC.

    ReplyDelete