Follow by Email

"I'M GOING IN!"


Title: Young Lady Wearing a Mantilla and Basquina
Artist: Francisco de Goya
Yesterday, I intended to leave my place to go study and do some biostatistics in the library. I never made it to the library. Instead, I found myself driving to a monastery and praying the rosary in a chapel. I prayed in silence and it was quite a peaceful experience, watching grown men and women walking into the chapel to pray and then walking out one by one. I finished around 1pm and then realized that there were confessions going on at 2. To make a long story short, I ended up doing some biostatistics homework outside on a parkbench as I waited for 2pm. At 2pm, I got in line for confession behind two sisters, 2 young adults, and an older Filipino man that would fall asleep, wake up, fan himself, and fall asleep again. Mind you, it was one of the hottest days of the year and there was no air conditioning in the tiny room where we waited. I, having nothing better to do, pulled out my rosary and prayed it again. As I waited, more people (a few sisters included) kept coming in. Some of them even prayed the rosary as they waited. My inner Catholic rejoiced at seeing so much faith in one day.

I will most likely post about my confession later because it was one of those life-changing confessions that will, most likely, result in the improvement of my prayer life and a future pilgrimage. I will, for now, just mention that my act of penance is to go to confession again next week (the padre caught on to my bad habit of going once or twice a year) and to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet 3x a day for the rest of the week. Again, I will have to write about this later considering how much I want to write about it and how little time I have now. (Mass is in less than an hour and I DO NOT want to miss this padre's next homily.)

After mass, I went to the chapel gift shop and did something I had been meaning to do, but been too afraid to do for some time now....I bought a mantilla. I bought 4 of them, actually (2 black and 2 white) because my sister had been wanting a mantilla as well. Today is the day I'M GOING IN. Considering that this mass is a Latin mass and that one or two women already wears one, it won't be too out of the ordinary....so it may be the best place to get used to wearing one.

On similar note, like a child that just got a new pair of shoes and wants to try them out before the first day of school....I tried out my mantilla. I have to tell you, the mantilla almost makes me look like a saint. Considering that I'm a saint-in-training, I have to say that looking the part may just help me act the part a little better. I'm really glad I followed my heart yesterday, even it it means a little extra biostatistics today.

Now I'm off to mass.

Pax Vobiscum

Pray for China, Pray for Norway, Pray for Peace

5 comments:

  1. I'm discerning wearing a mantilla, so this was perfectly timed for me! Julie pointed me to this post.

    I'm going to traipse around the rest of your blog to look at your reasoning for wearing a mantilla...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support!

    @Elizabeth- I explain my reasons in this post...I should have linked in within this post. Mea Culpa.

    http://thecatholicsciencegeek.blogspot.com/2011/03/old-school-mantilla-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! p.s, I gave your blog a plug:
    http://mantillawithme.blogspot.com/2011/07/give-catholic-science-geek-some.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete