Follow by Email

Throwing down the gauntlet or, in my case, the vinyl lab glove

I got an email from Paperblog, asking me to join. I am a "N00B" to the blogging community so I really didn't know what these people were all about. Therefore, being the inquisitive science geek I am, I checked out the site. I checked out the religious section since the email told me that my blog would be of interest to the religion magazine readers...so I checked to see if it was a good fit. I mean, I don't want to be a part of a site or service that promotes any sort of bashing...the obvious kind of bashing against nationalities, color, orientation, my religion, my Church, and my beliefs...as well as the more subtle form of bashing (disguised as something else).

I saw a decent article about a religious/war monument in Times Square and another cool article about a new, bronze Stations of the Cross display. I thought we were off to a good start....then I saw some other articles that were a little more "feminist" than they were religious. I poked around a little further and got the impression that there were quite a few of these articles...disguised as "religious."

Oh dear. 

As much as I wanted to back away and just ignore the email...I found that it was impossible. This place's religion section truly needs me. You see, I'm a pretty old school Catholic even though I went to a liberal college and and even though I am a science geek. I will admit that the Catholic Church is not perfect. However, in the same breath I will also defend her and say that even though she's not perfect, she's  mine and I love her. You can throw the feminist label around to make your bashing seem like a well-intentioned, thoughtful observation...but I know misguided Catholic-bashing when I see it. In the words of Denethor..."You think you are wise, Mithrandir, yet for all your subleties you have not wisdom." 
Saint Michael photograph from Cathedrale Saint Michel et Sainte Gudule in Brussels, Belgium
Defending the Church, Archangel-style...with a badass lance.

With this said, Catholic-bashers should really, really read up on what the Catholic Church truly teaches before they speak or blog against her. This is important if you will otherwise base your arguments on flawed misconceptions about what you think the Church teaches. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE, I USED TO BE ONE OF THOSE FEMINISTS. It's going to be tough...some lab coats may get ripped and some wrists may get snapped by latex gloves...and a lot of time and effort will be required...but it is my duty (as well as pleasure) to defend what I believe. After all, what is faith without works? I'll just chalk this up as a spiritual work of mercy.

CCD refresher course:

Spiritual works of mercy:
1. To instruct the ignorant.
2. To counsel the doubtful.
3. To admonish sinners
4. To bear wrongs patiently.
5. To forgive offences willingly.
6. To comfort the afflicted.
7. To pray for the living and the dead.

I will get to this all as soon as I clear some things up with the bank, police, etc. I found out last night that I am a victim of fraud and have to clear up quite a few things before I can truly get into blogging mode. I had money stolen from my bank account and I am hoping it's not identity theft because that would involve EVEN MORE wasted time and stress. In any event, it's a crummy situation so I'm off to make phone calls, take care of things....and pray for whoever it was that stole the money in the first place as well as the well-intentioned but misguided souls of this world.

As soon as this is finished, however, it's game time.

Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment