Follow by Email

The Catholic Science Geek's To Watch List

My boyfriend is a film geek...so he probably has a better idea of what makes a "good movie." My idea of a good movie, however, should be taken with a grain of salt. I have a few movie formulas I use when determining what movies I will make an effort to go see. Not too many movies make the final cut....so I usually just wait for it go on TV or DVD until I see it. My few exceptions are: any movie with hobbits, Harry Potter, any movie that's playing in a foreign country I happen to be visiting, and whatever movie I get dragged off to see whether I want to or not. If a movie is good, I will watch it twice (or more) once it's out...and even fewer movies ever make this cut (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Sherlock Holmes, and 300). I think the last movie I saw in theaters was either the Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter...and before that...it was Romeo and Juliet (which I was dragged to while vacationing in Portugal).

Normally, I don't get excited about movies...but this year there appears to be quite a few movies that I cannot wait to see. Consider this well-deserved, free, and not-so-random advertising because...well...they seem to be Catholicish and are, therefore, appropriate to post about (in my opinion at least).


There Be Dragons seems to be a pretty cool one...it comes out TOMORROW (MAY 6th), but I won't be allowing myself to watch it until my biochem exam is over (I get it tomorrow....)

Cristiada seems to be too awesome for words...nothing like fighting a good fight. It's currently in post production and should be coming out sometime this year (not sure when...). I will certainly make an effort to see this one considering that one of the themes here is "Viva Cristo Rey!"



And then there's The Way. My sister got to see a preview screening of it during this year's FOCUS conference and she came back raving about it. On a side note she also got the chance to meet Martin Sheen and Emilio Estivez at this conference, but she chose Eucharistic adoration instead. That's how awesome she is...choosing Christ over rubbing elbows and taking pictures with celebrities. (I think she deserves an honorable mention for the Cool Catholic award just for this especially since she doesn't brag about it). I looked it up and it seemed worthwhile. We want to take this journey one day (El Camino de Santiago) so this movie seems pretty awesome. It comes out September 30, 2011 according to IMDB....(May 13th in Ireland and the UK...already released in Spain)

All I can say is THANK GOD there's religious themed movies coming out that don't suck and don't have anything to do with Dan Brown and all that "Angels and Demons" nonsense. In case you're wondering, my problem with Angels and Demons is that fact that it's a watered down version of "Holy Blood Holy Grail." Holy Blood Holy Grail is an okay book if you like reading all sorts of heresy, conspiracy theories, mystery, occult knowledge, secret societies, and all that other hoopla for fun. However, I really don't like it when people who don't know any better start treating this stuff like the truth...and acting like they're somehow "in the know" because they read these books without researching any of the material themselves or really understanding Catholicism to begin with.....
 *Catholic Facepalm*

I mean, let's face it...I'm Catholic and even I don't know 100% of everything my religion encompasses. 

In any event, these movies look great and I cannot wait to check them out....as soon as my biochem final is over. In case you're wondering, I get it tomorrow and will be working on it nonstop until next Friday.

Pax Vobiscum


No comments:

Post a Comment