Follow by Email

Catholic Brain Candy

Being the average college-aged American I am, I have a credit card. This credit card happens to be one of those cards that gives me an Amazon.com gift card every time I get 2500 points. Like the average 25 year old woman, I pay for everything from my monthy train pass, my Metrocard, my car insurance, gas, and every other bill with my card. Unlike most Americans, however, I use the thing like a debit card....stalking any mailman that could be delivering my bill to pay it off ASAP**. That's something I learned from my very traditional Old World European parents....and it hasn't failed me yet (my credit score would be the envy of any potential home buyer).

**Don't worry, our family gives mailman a Christmas card every year to make up for any offence caused by my stalker-like behavior.

As I do every few months, I just racked up 2500 points. I tend to get books with my card.
The last 2 books I got were by Fr. Gabriele Amorth ("An Exorcist Tells His Story" and "An Exorcist: More Stories"). I got these after picking up "The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist." For the record, I highly recommend all 3 of these books since they're written in a manner that respects Church doctrine and doesn't employ gratuitous pea soup scenes or violence to boost book sales. Also, these books were well-written, informative, and explained things with a lot of clarity...especially Amorth's books. Be prepared for some lessons in theology and the sacraments if you do decide to read these.

I already have the collected works of C.S. Lewis and my sister (theology student that she is) has lined our bookshelves with quite a few books on Catholic teaching, C.S. Lewis, moral theology, etc. Therefore, as much as I love me some Lewis and hardcore Catholic reading,  I will not be purchasing his books...nor will I purchase anything too academic. My brain will be too drained for anything other than easy reading once finals are over...due to biochemistry of course. With this said, it is up to you readers to help me decide what to buy and eventually read. Finals are coming up and I will need some recovery reading after they are finished. Feel free to post or message your selections as well as some thoughts on whatever book or author you recommend. I look forward to any recommendations.

Saint Jerome by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio


3 comments:

  1. Anything from P.G.Wodehouse. Or, if you wish to flex your portuguese muscle, Machado de Assis is the best brazilian author, without a doubt. You could try "Dom Casmurro" or "Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas".Although, if you prefer to stick with the english language, I think he has already been translated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest anything by Pope Bene or as Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger.

    Esp: The Spirit of the Liturgy and Feast of Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend Trianon by Maria Elena Vidal. It was beautiful.

    It's lighter than what you're currently reading, but maybe you're up for some brain candy.

    ReplyDelete