Follow by Email

Apparently I'm a Mindless Catholic

"There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."  Fulton J. Sheen

I found out that I can get pro-life license plates in NJ today. As you may know, I already have a pretty prolife car named Gandalf. Therefore, the addition of this license plate makes sense and the money goes towards abortion alternatives such as free maternity care and services within New Jersey. This sounds like a pretty noble cause, right? Naturally, I should be able to find the right site to sign up for the plate...right? The NJ Motor Vehicle people must have a quick and easy way to access these license plate forms....right? Well, NO. It was easier to find information for square dancer plates than it was the choose life plates. I'm serious. Fortunately Children First was pretty user friendly when it came to getting the process started for those plates. However, before I resorted to finding the website for this organization in the church bulletin, I thought it would be easier to Google it...than type it in. Boy was I WRONG.

I go online and attempt to find some easy-to-use link for the plate....never happened. I ended up having to type in the website using the church bulletin....but only after finding myself knee-deep in some of the most hateful and misinformed threads regarding this license plate's message and pro-life people like me. It's funny how being "pro-life" automatically makes me mindless, Catholic, anti-women, anti-healthcare, anti-all-that-is-right-and-good-in-the-world. I'm also a hypocrite who supports the death penalty and refuses to adopt children. Apparently,  I also don't know anything about stem cell research, modern medicine, etc because apparently, I follow a church full of crooked padres that is still in the dark ages and bent on keeping people oppressed and dimwitted.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Well, to be fair...all these hateful and incredibly biased people did get one thing right...I am Catholic. Everything else, however, is rubbish. To sum up their arguments against the pro-life crowd...well, it was all just a ridiculous series of rants that would induce a facepalm from anyone...even Archbishop Fulton Sheen. I can't even tell you how tempted I was to school all these trolls and show off just how much of a badass Catholic science geek I am...However, these people seem to want just that. There's no point in justifying who I am and what I stand for when it comes to these people because they will only hear what they think may help their cause. If they don't hear it....well, they twist your words until they get what they want out of them.

"Why are those who are notoriously undisciplined and unmoral also most contemptuous of religion and morality? They are trying to solace their own unhappy lives by pulling the happy down to their own abysmal depths."  Fulton J. Sheen

I hate the mass generalizations...I hate the prejudiced names these "brave" but anonymous souls give themselves when they post...I hate how stupid they try to make people like me look. I hate how they try turning pro-life and intelligent into two mutually exclusive categories. If I wanted to, I could sink to their level and come up with my own mass generalizations regarding the typical "anti-lifer." However, then I remember the words of one of my favorite satirists of all time..."All generalizations, including this one, are false." Good old Mark Twain must have had these anonymous internet fools in mind when he came up with this gem. Therefore, as much as I want to sink to the uber-cranky pro-abortion crowd level sometimes by giving in to my anger...I think about the damage I would do to the good fight...and let it go. Perhaps those who are on the fence about abortion will see some of the irrational and uber-cranky comments left by these "anti-lifers."

To be fair, there are pro-life people out there who are just as bad as the uber-cranky pro-abortion crowd....and do more damage to our cause than good. This,however, is just another reason for me to do what is right and continue to use truth as my weapon of choice. Well, maybe I will use truth laced with sarcasm and geekiness....since I'm a pro at using these as weapons.
I will smite their lies with a sword of truth, the sarcasm of a pirate, and the geekiness of...a parrot? 
Okay, confession time:
Almost all of my photographs and artwork are on Facebook and not my computer.
 I'm running out of jpgs and am working with what I got at this point. 
Once Lent is over and I'm back on Facebook, images will become more relevant.

Christ didn't need petty anger get the best of him when he sought to educate the masses. Righteous anger, sometimes. Petty anger, never. Therefore, I refuse to sink to their level...even if I truly am more qualified to talk about stem cell research and the therapies they attempt to explain incorrectly. There is a time and place for a science-based thrashing...but anonymous threads aren't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I do what I can to educate when appropriate. However, nothing I can say (regardless of qualification) will get these people to see the errors in their arguments...or the bias. Also, conventional wisdom tells us that feeding trolls only leads to trouble...especially when it comes to controversy and anonymous threads.

Also, I can't use generalizations and lies to fight for the truth. That would be counterintuitive and my conscience already has more than enough dirt on me to keep me awake at night. If there is one thing I could do to discredit my noble cause, it would be reducing myself to the level of this uber-cranky and incredibly misinformed crowd. Thus, I will simply have to do more research and use truth to fight for the truth.

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave." 
 Fulton J. Sheen


Pax Vobiscum

No comments:

Post a Comment