In case the title of this blog hasn’t convinced you yet….I am a Roman Catholic. I’m the type of Catholic that, after turning in my biochemistry final, finds the nearest church to get on her knees and offer a prayer of thanksgiving. Does being Catholic mean I am an expert on Catholicism? Absolutely not. Chances are I will never come to understand everything about it. Am I a perfect Catholic? Absolutely not…which is why I’ve made a list of things that I must change.
- I need to go to confession and receive the Eucharist more often.
- I have a Latin/English version of the New Testament that I don’t read often enough
- “Omnipresent” is not necessarily a word you find in a child’s vocabulary and by the time I finally grasped this concept, I had already turned my relationship with Christ into a long distance one. Imust accept Christ as a constant companion in my life.
- Faith… I’ve only scratched the surface of my potential.
- Everything else. My goal is constant improvement. I refuse to settle and become a stagnant pond! I need movement! I need improvement! I need to KNOW MORE.
As I have already mentioned, I’m a HUGE science geek type of scientist. I cannot get enough of biology, genetics, chemistry, you name it! Don’t believe me? Check out my geeky track record:
1. Graduated high school as valedictorian of my class and based graduation speech on Lord of the Rings
2. Graduated from Montclair State University summa cum laude with a bachelors in biology
3. Loved biology and MSU so much I decided to get a masters degree there in molecular biology
4. Taught dozens of students over the years (everything from ecology to space to genetics)
5. Current PhD candidate at Columbia University
Though I am a HUGE science nerd, I may never completely understand everything there is to know about signaling pathways, evolution, toxicology, etc. Perhaps this inability to fully comprehend religion and science is what’s drawn me to them. What better way to keep my inquisitive mind and restless spirit occupied than two never-ending brain teasers!?!